TMRW 11AM: Rally Outside Rep. Royce’s Brea Office Urges Opposition to Graham-Cassidy Health Care Repeal Bill
Courage Campaign and the #Fight4OurHealth Coalition Warn State Will Be In Significant Trouble if Legislation Passes, Bill Cuts Funding to California to Divert to Other States
BREA, CALIFORNIA — This Thursday, September 21, at 11:00 AM, the California-based Courage Campaign will join with health care advocates from across the state in a rally outside of Rep. Ed Royce’s (R-39) Brea office, demanding that he oppose the Graham-Cassidy bill. Advocates argue that the Graham-Cassidy bill would strip at least $28 billion in health care spending from the California, redirecting that money towards other states.
WHERE: Congressman Ed Royce’s Office, 210 W Birch Street, Brea, CA 92821
WHEN: Thursday, September 21, 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM PT
The California-based Courage Campaign is urging California’s Congressional delegation, specifically the fourteen Republican members of the delegation, to oppose the bill squarely aimed at dismantling California’s health care funding and infrastructure. While all fourteen members of California’s Republican Congressional delegation supported previous attempts to repeal the Affordable Care Act and slash Medi-Cal funding, Courage Campaign says the direct and excruciating impact of this bill on California leaves the state’s Republican Congressional delegation no choice but to oppose it.
“Health care advocates across the country have successfully fought against various repeals of the Affordable Care Act for months, but the Graham-Cassidy bill poses the most substantial threat to the health and well-being of Californians that we have seen so far,” said Eddie Kurtz, Executive Director of Courage Campaign. “Courage Campaign and its allies will continue to fight against this legislation–which would put millions at risk of losing coverage, radically cut back Medicaid protections, increase out-of-pocket costs, and weaken or even exterminate coverage for those with pre-existing conditions–but we need more from California’s Republican representatives. Rep. Ed Royce must publicly reject and ultimately vote against this cruel proposal, which, quite literally, endangers the lives of countless Californians.”
The Graham-Cassidy proposal also includes language that explicitly attacks larger states that embraced the ACA and expanded coverage, such as California, a political calculation designed to garner Congressional votes from those that did not.
The Graham Cassidy bill would mean the following for California:
- Eliminate all federal funding for the Affordable Care Act, making healthcare unaffordable for 2.3 million Californians who buy individual coverage
- Directly threaten coverage for the 14.1 million Californians who get coverage through Medi-Cal and cut nearly $28 billion annually in CA by 2026
- Slash Medi-Cal funding by $114.6 billion between 2017 and 2020
- Put 100% of the financial responsibility for increasing healthcare costs and public health emergencies on the state budget
- To pay for cuts of this magnitude, California would have to reduce its Medi-Cal enrollment by ⅓, eliminate benefits such as In-Home Supportive Services, or reduce already inadequate provider rates